St. Angus's, Lochearnhead
St. Angus's Church, Lochearnhead – the church was built in 1888 as a private chapel by three local families: the Stewarts of Ardvorlich, the Carnegies of Stronvar and the MacGregors of MacGregor. It was consecrated by the Bishop of St Andrews in 1894 as a chapel of the Scottish Episcopal Church.
Initially it served the needs of the grouse-shooting visitors to the estates of the three local families and generally the congregations were small. There was a threat of closure in the 1980's but this was averted.
The building is one of the most beautiful small churches in the Diocese. It holds about 60 people. At the altar is a reredos, donated in 1909 as a thank offering from someone connected with Edinample Castle at a time of great sorrow. It is beautifully crafted, probably locally, and features St Angus, St Blane, St Columba, St Ninian and the Annunciation. The altar rail itself was a bequest of Catherine Bain who died at Edinchip in 1906. The “Kneelers Group” has worked some lovely kneelers and seat pads which reflect the congregation and its history. St Angus's Church is a Listed Building and after over 100 years use is about to have a new roof which will ensure its future survival.
Today it is the only church in the village of Lochearnhead , although the Church of Scotland Parish Church, located in Balquhidder, serves all three villages and is linked with Killin. St Angus's remains the home of the Scottish Episcopalian Congregation but welcomes visitors of any Christian denomination. It forms part of the congregation of Strathearn, the other two being St Columba's in Crieff and St Serf's in Comrie.
The church has an enthusiastic congregation who make every attempt to reach out to the community. They hold many events including Community Christmas Carol Services in the Village Hall, a Quiz Night and other specialist events to raise funds for either St Angus's or other specific charities in the UK or overseas. During Lent at other times Bible Studies are directed by our minister, the Rev Paddy Allen and involve as many people as possible including those of other denominations. Services are much enhanced when our organist Alan Clarke is playing the electric organ, which, whilst small, fills the church with wonderful music.
Service times are as follows:-
- 1st and 3rd – HOLY EUCHARIST – 11.15am
- 2nd and 4th – EVENSONG – 6.00pm
- 5th – HOLY EUCHARIST – 6.00pm
- Normally Morning Prayer and Eucharist at 10.00am
- SECRETARY - Mrs Mary Barclay - TEL NO 01567 830453
- TREASURER – Mr Lawrence hopkins – TEL NO 01567 830238
OFFICE OF SCOTTISH CHARITY REGULATOR REFERENCE SC 009327