St. Serf's, Comrie
Saint Serf's, Comrie ... Saint Serf' was a fifth century local Saint, thought to have been the spiritual mentor of the better known St Mungo of Glasgow . He seems to have had a ministry of evangelism in the Ochils, Clackmannanshire, and South Perthshire , and a number of churches in the area bear his name.
Episcopalians in Strathearn trace their origins back to a group of Christians in the Muthill area who remained loyal to their Bishops and the House of Stewart after the revolution of 1688. However until the late 19 th Century Comrie Episcopalians worshipped in houses on estates such as Dunira, Lawers and Strowan, and later in the Royal Hotel. In 1884 Colonel Williamson of Lawers leased some of the land to the Diocese, and a chapel was built and dedicated by Bishop Wordsworth of St Andrews . It was at first a mission from Crieff, and services were only held in the summer.
The Church grew into an independent charge in 1905, and the buildings were enhanced in 1908, most notably by the installation of an East Window based on a design by Burne Jones, and given by the Dewhurst family of Aberuchill Castle .
The Church, still a wooden building was further developed in the 1950's, when it was enlarged, and encased with bricks and harling. In 1991 it was further extended by the addition of a meeting room, called the St Fillan's room, built from funds derived from the closure and sale of the Church of the Holy Spirit in St Fillans.
The Church today offers an atmosphere of peace and tranquillity, deriving from the faithful prayers of its members over the years.
Today our congregation is joined with St Columba's, Crieff and St Angus's, Lochearnhead as a linked charge. We seek to share the Christian faith with all who are moved to worship with us.
If you would like to know more about the Christian Faith, about becoming a Christian, or about living as a disciple of Jesus Christ, please contact the Rector, who will be glad to meet you.
Times of Service
- SUNDAY 9.30am Holy Communion
- 10.00am Morning Prayer or Communion in the Church
- 11.00am Bible Study and Prayer held in people's homes.
(Please call Rector for venue)
PLEASE JOIN US FOR WORSHIP - YOU ARE WELCOME
St Serfs is a congregation of the Scottish Episcopal Church, and of the Anglican Communion.
Our Christian faith is based on the historic creeds. We acknowledge Jesus Christ as the Word of God, and the Saviour of the World, and we meet together to worship, to listen to the reading of the Scriptures, and to celebrate the Lord's Supper in Communion with the Bishop of St Andrews, and his colleagues around the world.
The Episcopal Church today is derived from the historic Scottish Church , founded by St Ninian of Whit horn and St Columba of Iona . The Church underwent Reformation in the 16 th Century, and was alternately Episcopalian and Presbyterian in structure until 1689, when those who remained loyal to their bishop and to the exiled King James VII separated from the larger part of the Church of Scotland, which became definitively Presbyterian. At that time Muthill remained a notable centre of Episcopalian loyalty in Strathearn.
In the 19 th Century the Episcopal Church grew in strength, absorbed the “English Chapels” in Scotland 's larger towns and cities, and founded new congregations in Crieff and Comrie. St Serf's was one of these.
- Secretary/Treasurer: Mr. Peter Dundas TEL: (01764) 670640
- Rector's Warden: Kate Mitchell TEL: (01764) 670248
- People's Warden: Ken Heiser TEL: (01764) 670545
OFFICE OF SCOTTISH CHARITY REGULATOR REFERENCE SC 016377